This question came-up in a discussion earlier this week: Do we know of published studies on this subject? A quick Google-search turned up the following for me …
- George Dinwiddie‘s page on Studies of Test-Driven Development has links to a dozen or so, with summaries
- A March 2009 InfoQ.com article Empirical Studies Show Test Driven Development Improves Quality about a paper published in the Journal of Empirical Software Engineering
- An XP2009 paper on Measuring the impact of testing on code structure in Test Driven Development: metrics and empirical analysis.
- A Survey of Evidence for TDD in Academia (2008), published in ACM SIGCSE Bulletin
- Empirical Evidence of Agile Methods (2007) has a nice slide or two devoted to TDD
- A Univ. of Karlsruhe study on The Effect of Experience on the TDD process (2007)
- An ITEA 2006 paper on TDD Empirical Body of Evidence
- A 2006 Univ. of Kansas Ph.d thesis on An empirical evaluation of the impact of test-driven development on software quality
- An ISESE 2006 paper on Evaluating Advantages of Test Driven Development: a Controlled Experiment with Professionals
- VTT Case Study of TDD in Mobile Software Software Development (2005)
Any others? Any comments on the above?